Before you start building your new shed ask yourself these five questions. You will be so glad you did!
1. Where is the site location of the shed going to be?
• This is a really important question, and one we will always ask you. We do need to know the location of your shed before designing the structure; however, if you are unsure, an approximate area will be fine during the quoting process.
• When we are designing your new shed, we will take into account the wind speeds and direction, and snow loadings at your site, ensuring you of a long-lasting investment.
2. What size do I need?
• As with any large investment, you want to be sure that you are getting exactly what you need and want. Being able to customise the shed height is very important if you have oversize vehicles or machinery to house.
• Specialised Structure’s buildings can be built to your specific needs with custom heights, bay sizes and unlimited lengths.
• It is generally more cost effective to build the shed to your needs in the first place, rather than find out down the line you need more storage space. Remember, no-one ever says they built a shed that was too big!
3. How can I future-proof my design?
• When designing your new shed, you should ensure it is going to suit your future needs as well as your current requirements.
• You will need to determine the minimum storage area required for the equipment that needs to be housed. If you plan on keeping equipment hitched overnight, you will require more space than the minimum to allow for movement of machinery and vehicles. You may also want to consider traffic flow patterns inside the building to determine door locations if required.
• As height is a relatively cheap way to upgrade your shed, we recommend you go higher than what you think you need. This means you’ll be well set up for the possibility of larger machines in the future.
• Make sure you take into account any plans for business expansion or resale.
• A clear span design future-proofs your shed as there are no poles, giving you more choice for storage and greater freedom of movement.
4. What is your new shed going to be used for?
• This question is often one of the first we will ask you; and it’s not just because we’re nosy! The answer to this question has a lot of effect on the design of the shed, and we need to make sure you are getting a shed that works for you.
• What are you using the shed for? Obviously if it’s animals, you will need natural ventilation (see Farm Sheds and Free-Stall Cow Barns). If it’s expensive machinery or a vehicle collection, you will want a full lock-up. If you have something oversized to store like a boat, harvester or horse trailer, we need to make sure we allow enough height and larger-than-standard doors.
5. Kitset or Installed?
• We sell kitset sheds throughout NZ and you can get a kitset from one of our merchants located near you.
• Specialised Structure’s sheds are designed to be fast and easy to build, minimising disruption to your daily operations.
You can call our team on 0508 787 828 if you have a question that we can help with.